Contrary to common belief, eating disorders don’t discriminate against gender. Though often overlooked, men are just as able as women to develop any type of eating disorder; Paul Beuttenmuller is living proof. After suffering in silence for many years with exercise addiction, anorexia, and purging behaviors, Paul finally sought treatment through Castlewood Treatment Center in Missouri. Now secure in who he is, Paul shares his experience in recovery from an eating disorder from the male perspective. He talks openly and vulnerably about his struggles with “golden boy syndrome” and his unrelenting compulsions toward perfectionism. No matter who you are, male or female, Paul is proof that recovery is possible if only we lean into the healing process.
What You’ll Learn
- What it’s like to seek treatment for an eating disorder as a male
- The definition and the perils of “golden boy syndrome”
- How perfectionism can devastate your life, health, and relationships and how to beat it
- Why it’s important to continue a writing practice even after treatment
- What internal family systems therapy is and how it could help you in your recovery
The person you are today would like to thank the person you were five years ago for not giving up. You are awesome.
Exercise is a celebration of what the body can do, not a punishment for what it did.
If you saw the size of the blessing that is coming you would understand the magnitude of the battle you’re facing.
Favorite Recovery Resource
- Writing in general and sometimes revisiting old therapeutic assignments from treatment.
- Reading about the experiences of others in recovery through sources like Recovery Warriors.
Advice to Former Self
It does get better. There’s still so much road ahead of you and there’s so much you can do with it if you’re willing to go through the process; be vulnerable, seek treatment, and really do what you need to do you’ll be able to get to the other side and do those things you’ve always dreamed about.
Definition of Recovery
A life that’s not defined by medals and material things, but by experiences and emotions.
For Your Journey
- Castlewood Treatment Center
- Sign up for the FREE 10 Day FoodBodyLove Rally
- Music by JR Patterson at the Voice Collective
- Find professional help through Recovery Warriors Help Finder
- Rise Up + Recover app on Google Play and iTunes